Saturday, October 31, 2015

Easy Pepper Steak



For tonight I went with a Flank steak recipe that I found on Pinterest. As usual the pictures are stunning. What a delicious looking meal. It was certainly what drove me to try a flank steak. My experience with flank steak is usually one where the piece of meat I end up with could be used to resole shoes, or replace roof shingles, or maybe patch semi-truck tires. But since this meal looked so good and introduced a new style of cooking flank steak that I haven't tried before (and it seemed quick), I thought I'd give it a try.

This meal came from Gimme Some Oven. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-pepper-steak-recipe/#_a5y_p=1010485


So this is mine. I'm not going to necessarily call this meal a fail as far as comparing it to the picture I was shooting for. My creation certainly isn't nearly as pretty as the original but it's probably as close as I've gotten so far. Also, and this will only be a short rant, I've started to realize that some blogs work as hard on their pictures as they do their recipes. Which is ok, just so it's known, I'm less of a photographer than I am a cook. Rant over. Plus my pictures come from the meals mer moments before they are eaten for dinner. I spend just enough time to make them look pretty before we tear into them. A lot like making your bed right before going to sleep.
For this meal, I put my twist on it right away. I bought a 1.6lb flank steak, the recipe called for 1lb - so I doubled the marinade. I was also lucky enough today to be able to marinade the steak for nearly 5 hours. The thought was - if 15 minutes to marinade is good, 5 hours should be Super. Since the recipe called for sweet peppers but no spice, I cut up 2 jalapeno peppers and cooked them with the other peppers. The heat was just right and there were all sorts of flavors. The meat was put over a bowl of quinoa.

Unfortunately, this recipe won't make the rotation. I'm just not sure there's a way to cook flank steak without ending up with a material that can repair concrete walls. Actually I'm being harsh. Marinading the meat for so long actually made for the best, softest flank steak I've made. If I were to make any changes, well, anymore changes, I'd add a little more soy sauce.

Overall this was an easy recipe and there are many flavors to be had. If you're a fan a flank steak, you'll enjoy this recipe (it's in the link above).

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your "twist" on this but didn't like the flank steak. Still, a great meal if someone likes flank.

    ReplyDelete