Monday, October 26, 2015

Sriracha Chicken Quinoa Bowl


Now this dish was right up my alley, spicy, simple, chicken and rice - or quinoa. Apparently quinoa is a super food according to my wife. I've been avoiding recipes that called for quinoa simply because I wasn't sure where to find it and I was too lazy to look. Rice would work. As it turns out, I didn't have to go any further than my pantry where my wife had already bought a bag - who knew. And who doesn't love Sriracha?? That is just a magnificent sauce, and I really enjoy spicy.

Prep time about 15 minutes.
Cook time about 30 minutes (there's some overlap so it was a pretty quick meal)

The picture looks just as amazing as possible. The recipe came from Kim's Healthy Eats and I found it on Pintrest. Not all of the recipes that I try are on Pintrest but lately most of them come from there. I like the idea of seeing what the meal is supposed to look like. http://www.kimshealthyeats.com/sriracha-chicken-quinoa-bowl/


This is what I came up with. Yeah, probably another fail as far as trying to get my meal to look like the pictures. It was a tasty dish though. I just couldn't get the sauce to thicken up like the pictures suggest. What I noticed is that after the chicken was cooked, there was a bit of juice/liquid in the pan. Maybe I should have discarded that juice before adding the sriracha sauce mixture. The recipe said that after the chicken is cooked, add the mixture and cook for 5 more minutes. I gave it about 8 minutes but the mixture was still pretty lose, it just wasn't thickening like I wanted.

This recipe will be done again. There has to be a step or two that isn't included in the recipe to get that nice thick sauce to stick to the chicken and be all richy red like the pictures.

Tonight I really thought I would be able to match the picture but I was just off...by a lot of shades. I got more of a weak pink instead of a rich red. But I'll try this again at some point. I'm wondering corn starch should have been used but I don't want to mess up the taste because it's really good, even with what I came up with.

1 comment: