Thursday, October 29, 2015

Seattle Asian Salmon Bowl



Ok, so this one isn't even close but it's totally worth it. The secret to this dish is the sauce. If you're a little congested, if your nose is a little stuffy, make this dish and don't be shy with the wasabi. This is possibly the tenth time I've made this meal and there has only been one time that I didn't include the wasabi - Big Mistake. The wasabi gives the edge this meal needs. Another beauty about this dish is that it doesn't need an excuse. It's not comfort food. It's not necessarily a seasonal dish. It's just tasty. It can be tasty any time of year for any reason.
I'm not a huge fish fan unless it's sushi, but this meal definitely is on the regular rotation. The way that I've changed the recipe certainly needs to be adjusted but only to see if I can find a better way. All recipes can use adjusting, that's the beauty of cooking.

This meal comes from SkinnyTaste.com http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/01/seattle-asian-salmon-bowl.html



This is my version of the dish. Certainly not as organic and green as the original but still really good. The sprouts have proven difficult to find. And to be honest, I've made this without looking at the recipe so many times that I've forgotten about some of the ingredients of the original. With the idea of the sauce being the money maker here, I've decided that it doesn't really matter how the salmon is cooked. My salmon just gets about 25 minutes in the oven at 350 with some salt and pepper. The store I shop at has a piece of salmon called "Salmon Select cuts". It's about 6 ounces of a nicely cut piece of fish - that's my go-to. The rice is just a brown rice, nothing special. A decently ripe avocado and an english cucumber and you're in business. Of course you need the ingredients for the sauce. Chances are, if you cook any sort of stir fry or oriental style dishes, you already have most of what you need sparing the wasabi. About the wasabi, get the wasabi paste - trust me. I foolishly tried using the wasabi powder - not good, bad decision, don't do it, not the same thing. The nori strips I haven't worried about as well as the seeds.

So since I'm thinking about it, I believe the next time I try this recipe I'm really going to try to more closely follow it. I'd like to see if I can get closer to what the author of this recipe intended. As good as I think my version is, I'm sure I'm missing out on what the original recipe has intended. Maybe a Whole Foods has those sprouts.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to try your recipe, but I don't see the sauce ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to try your recipe, but I don't see the sauce ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sorry, the full recipe is in that link to Skinny Taste. But the ingredients for the sauce is: 2 tbls soy sauce, 2 tbls Mirin sauce, 2 tbls Rice Vinegar, 1 tbls Sesame oil, 2 tea spoons Wasabi paste. Mix well. I only put in 1 tea spoon of wasabi otherwise I can't see the food because I'm crying too much. This makes enough to pour over 2 bowls. This is the link to the original recipe - hopefully you enjoy it as much as we do. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/01/seattle-asian-salmon-bowl.html

      Delete