Friday, November 6, 2015

Bourbon Chicken Review.


Tomorrow morning, my wife and I are running a half marathon. Our normal mode of operation before a 5K or 10K or even a half marathon would be to go get sushi and have a few drinks. As we're getting a touch older and healthy choices are on our mind, my thought tonight was to find a simple recipe that would go well with rice. I found this recipe on pintrest and it seemed simple enough. One incredibly disappointing aspect of this meal is that there isn't the first hint of bourbon...at all. I had to buy a 28oz bottle of apple juice for the 1/4 cup that the recipe calls for. But there couldn't be a splash of real bourbon that would have allowed me to buy a bottle?? The funny thing is that I stood in the grocery store for 5 minutes struggling over having to buy the apple juice at $2.89 for such a small amount needed in the recipe, but I would have driven 20 miles to buy a $50 bottle of bourbon if the recipe called for even a half a tea spoon. Hey - don't judge - it's all about priorities. The great thing is that this recipe is easy and the chicken came out delicious. This would make a great weekday meal when time is of the essence.

This recipe came from Big Oven http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/bourbon-street-chicken/201809


This is my dish. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Since I'm calling this a good comparison between what I came up with and what Big Oven shows what the dish should look like, that puts me at 4 for 4 - Sweet! I used my dutch oven to cook the chicken and the sauce. I followed the recipe very closely with the exception of adding some salt before the 20 minutes was over. I have the sauce a taste and it just seemed like some salt was needed.

This recipe will certainly be in the rotation. The next time I do it I'm thinking that I might double the sauce ingredients. Having some extra sauce might be good on the rice. Maybe even double the sauce but don't put the corn starch in, then it would be a true sauce. Not sure yet.

If you try this recipe, try it just as it's written, you won't be disappointed. If you do make modifications, let me know what you did. New cooking ideas are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment