Monday, November 9, 2015

Omelet and Potato Breakfast Bite Review.


Weekend mornings are a great time to cook a big breakfast. Recipes are not needed. Just some bacon, eggs, some sort of hash browns and are you're good to go. Sometimes you might mix it up and throw in some pancakes (aka breakfast candy) or even some sausage. This weekend I decided to mix it up a little. These little breakfast bites are really delicious and very versatile. The recipe giving is just a starting point, any number of breakfast meats or veggies can be added to the basic recipe. As I'm going through these recipes, I'm realizing that the great thing about keeping track of these things is that the recipes themselves are just great baselines. People with more imagination and creativity than me can put these great ingredients together to come up with a great meal. We, as everyday cooks, can start with the baseline recipes and make them your own with our own special touches and imagination.

This recipe came from Ella Claire Inspired by Vintage Charm http://www.ellaclaireinspired.com/delicious-omelet-and-potato-breakfast/


This is what I came up with. As far as the ingredients and procedure, I followed the recipe fairly closely. Being on the "mostly healthy" side, I did make sure I used light ingredients. The tatter tots were untouched, no one should ever try to substitute perfectly good tater tots. We're pretty sure tatter tots are some sort of super food. Ranked very closely to blue berries, quinoa and salmon. For the eggs, I used about 4 real eggs and the equivalent to 4 eggs through egg whites - and of course, skim milk. The ham was a Boars Head ham that I diced myself. The sausage was some sort of veggie sausage.

At any rate, the point is that where ever I could, I tried to use the lightest variation possible. I don't know what my calorie count was but it had to be low - right? Honestly, it's not so much about counting the calories as it is making sure the right decisions are made. Once the right decisions are made, the portion sizes have to be watched. Even too much of healthy food at every meal will make you fat. I'm getting off topic.

This recipe is fantastic and you should do your family a favor and make it next weekend. It really takes the 30 or so minutes to make. While the tots are cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. It's a great breakfast. Let me know what changes you made. New cooking ideas are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment