Monday, November 2, 2015

Shrimp and Avocado Rice Bowl Review


After a weekend of beef, it was time for something other than cow. This recipe was a nice and light change from the heavy beef we've been eating. The meal was delicious and I believe it to be very healthy. The recipe didn't take too long to go through but I used just about every pot, pan and bowl in my kitchen. Throw in a few plates, cutting board, several forks and spoons - by the time I was done, I filled up an empty dishwasher with everything I needed to use. For such a simple meal, there were so many small components that it just called for many different dishes. This is also one of those meals where you're going to want to have a pan that you can safely put into the oven. Broiling the shrimp is new to me and it worked out pretty good. If you don't have such a pan, I would imagine normal pan frying would work just fine.

The recipe came from fitnessmagazine.com http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/dinner/fat-fighting-meals-7-flat-belly-dinner-recipes/?page=2


This is what I came up with and I'm going to call it a win. The meal came out real good and it is definitely in the rotation. Even though I used almost every piece of kitchenware that I own, this meal is healthy, full of protein and just like every recipe - open for changes. Tonight I followed the recipe to the letter, well, maybe an extra shake of cayenne pepper on the shrimp here and there. The cayenne pepper is the only source of spice but somehow the sauce that's suggested to be on the side gives a warm feeling that is actually quite good. This meal is similar to the Seattle Asian Salmon Rice Bowl that was reviewed a few days ago - but with shrimp.

For the changes, there aren't many. This recipe stands up well just as it is. But as usual, next time I do this recipe I'm going to change a few things. I mean, that's the beauty of learning how to cook. You start to see what foods pair well each other.

First thing I'm going to try is a different shrimp. I used medium shrimp and not nearly enough - which is odd for me. Typically, I cook way too many shrimp and have extra. Next time I'm going to use more shrimp and I think I'm going to go with extra large shrimp. It will mean adjusting the sauce that the shrimp start in but I think it will be worth it. I'm also going to simply add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey mixture just straight into the bowl. Well, I'm going to mix it in it's own bowl then add it to the final bowls before serving. The recipe reads as if you're supposed to have this mixture in it's own bowl and it's used as a drizzling sauce. That's not really necessary, just create a double dose (or however many doses you'll need for the number of people you're cooking for) and add it to the bowl when serving. This will save you a couple bowls. I'm also probably going to omit the edamame. This does remove a source of protein but the texture of the edamame is a little weird in the bowl.

Another alteration that could be interesting might be to add some spice to the egg while it's cooking. Maybe some more cayenne or at least some salt. Gezz, thinking about it now, I didn't add the sesame oil to the pan when I cooked the egg. So there you have it, I didn't follow the recipe to the letter - dang it. See, that will be something I'll have to make sure I do next time. The sesame oil might have given those eggs an edge that I missed. No matter how well I believe that I can follow a recipe, in the heat of the moment missing a step is an easy thing to do.

If you try this recipe, let me know what changes you make if any. And don't forget the sesame oil when cooking the eggs. New cooking ideas are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment